MANILA—The Filipino engineer kidnapped in Yemen last month was released by his abductors Friday, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said.
Ramon de Castro, 46, is now with his employer Aggreko-Yemen, and his departure from Yemen is being arranged, the DFA said.
The DFA is making arrangements for his wife and brother-in-law to proceed to and meet him in Dubai.
De Castro, together with his Sri Lankan colleague, was abducted by a local tribe group on April 18, while on their way to Sana’a – Yemen’s capital – for a vacation.
De Castro was based in the province of Ma’arib, where this employer’s power plant is located. Ma’arib is about 200 kilometers east of Sana’a.
Aggreko-Yemen, an international power generator rental company, learned about De Castro’s abduction two hours after the incident.
The abductors demanded from Yemen some government services such as jobs, schools, and electricity supply, the DFA said.
The DFA expressed appreciation to Yemeni authorities for their help in facilitating the release of De Castro.
During his visit to Yemen last April 30, Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario sought the assistance of the Yemeni government for De Castro’s release.
At the time, Al-Sadi Group of Companies, the local agent of Aggreko-Yemen, assured Del Rosario that it was doing everything for the Filipino’s release.
Also, Yemeni Foreign Minister Abu Bakr Qirbi told Del Rosario that Yemeni’s security forces would spare no effort to facilitate the Filipino’s release and ensure his safety.
The DFA said the Yemeni government, some tribal leaders in Ma’arib, and other provincial leaders helped convince the local tribe to release the Filipino worker.