Former ambassador Albert F. del Rosario died, his family announced on Tuesday. He was 83.
“The family of Ambassador Albert Ferreros del Rosario is deeply saddened to announce his passing today, April 18, 2023,” read the brief statement.
“The family requests privacy during this difficult time,” they said.
The Department of Foreign Affairs said he “died while en route to San Francisco.”
Del Rosario was a prominent Filipino diplomat who served as the Secretary of Foreign Affairs of the Philippines from 2011 to 2016 and as the country’s ambassador to the United States from 2001 to 2006.
During his tenure as a public servant, he made significant contributions to the Philippines’ foreign policy and international relations.
Del Rosario led the Philippines’ arbitration against China in the South China Sea, resulting in a historic verdict from The Hague’s Permanent Court of Arbitration in favor of the Philippines.
The DFA described him as a “staunch advocate of protecting and advancing national security and promoting the rights and welfare of Filipinos both in the Philippines and abroad.”
He is survived by his spouse, Mrs Gretchen V. del Rosario, and his children.
“I extend my deepest condolences to the loved ones of Secretary Albert F. Del Rosario,” DFA Secretary Enrique Manalo wrote in a separate statement.
“He was a consummate diplomat and an inspiring leader who led the DFA with integrity and unwavering commitment to public service. You will be missed, Mr. Secretary,” he said.
Some of Del Rosario’s notable contributions include:
- Strengthening the Philippines’ strategic alliance with the United States, particularly in defense and security cooperation.
- Enhancing the Philippines’ engagement with other countries in the Asia-Pacific region, including the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), by promoting the country’s economic interests and regional security.
- Improving the welfare and protection of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) by negotiating labor agreements and providing assistance to OFWs in distress.
- Promoting sustainable development and environmental protection in the Philippines and participating in international efforts to address climate change.
- Overall, Ambassador Del Rosario played a vital role in advancing the Philippines’ national interests and promoting regional stability and cooperation.
One thought on “Former ambassador Albert del Rosario dies”
[…] MORE: Former ambassador Albert del Rosario dies […]