MANILA—The Department of Health (DoH) has recorded 173 firecracker-related injuries from December 21 to 28.
Health Secretary Enrique Ona said the number is a 36 percent jump from the average of the last five years.
But he said it is 12 percent lower compared to the number of firecracker-related injuries recorded in the same period last year.
Ona warned that the China-made Piccolo firecracker remains on top of the list of reasons for these injuries followed by “kwitis.”
The health secretary said the figure could balloon to 1,000 in the next three days if people would continue using firecrackers.
Meanwhile, Ona urged New Year’s Eve revellers, especially children, to be careful in using toy horns or ‘torotot’ in welcoming the 2011 on Friday.
He said the paper horns may also pose some danger to children who will be using them in welcoming the New Year.
This, following reports that two children were rushed to the hospital after swallowing ‘torotot’ whistles.
Ona suggested that instead of using torotot and firecrackers, people should just use pots and pans to make noise in welcoming the new year.