About 14,000 people were affected by floods that hit 16 villages in Naujan on Thursday and Friday, the Oriental Mindoro Provincial Disaster Response Team (PDRT) said.
A total of 302 families were evacuated from areas badly hit by floodwaters that officials blamed on a watershed that overflowed in Mt. Halcon. Six temporary shelters were setup by the government.
Seventy-three people were afflicted with disease, the disaster response team said. No casualties were reported.
Damage to infrastructure was estimated at P3.2 million.
Dennis Escosora of the PDRT told The Mindoro Post on Monday that the evacuees have returned home after the floodwaters subsided.
Last January, a boy drowned while an old woman died from a heart attack when floods submerged 41 villages in Naujan. The deluge displaced 985 people and ravaged 5,755 hectares of harvest-ready rice crops.
Following were the villages hit by last week’s flooding with the number of affected families:
One thought on “14,000 affected by floods in Naujan”
[…] Mindoro Post […]